Recently I announced the creation of the Home Recording Starter Kit, which was a bundle of essential recording equipment put together in coordination with B&H Photo-Video-Audio. It is composed of the minimum gear needed at the lowest price to allow anyone to start recording professional audio on their computer. That first bundle – priced at $261.95 – is good for anyone, but especially suited to those doing mostly voice over recording, including video narration, podcasts, etc.
Now I want to tell you about another starter bundle aimed at musicians, also assembled by B&H to my specifications.
These bundles are great because they save you lots of time and money. For instance, the items in the new musicians bundle, if purchased individually, would cost a total of $529.79. And then there is the shipping. But the kit only costs $429.99, you save about a hundred bucks for the gear, and B&H offers free shipping (in the US). How cool is that?
So here is that second bundle, which is more geared (no pun intended) toward musicians – The Focusrite Home Recording Musicians Starter Kit. The primary differences are the addition of an extra microphone for recording acoustic guitar and other instruments, and a MIDI keyboard for playing virtual instruments. Of course there are two mic cables and stands, and the interface accepts two microphones simultaneously. Below are the details:
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface
- Audio-Technica AT2041SP Cardioid Condenser Studio Microphone Package (includes 2 studio condenser mics: the AT2020 for vocals and the AT2021 small-diaphragm condenser for instruments)
- 2 xKopul Studio Elite 4000 Series 3-Pin XLR Male to 3-Pin XLR Female Audio Cable (10′)
- 2 x Auray Tripod-Boom Mic Stand
- Audio-Technica ATH-M20 – Closed-Back Headphone
- Auray Nylon Round Pop Filter with Gooseneck (6.6″)
- M-Audio Oxygen 49 -USB MIDI Controller