The Tascam DR-60DmkII 4-Channel Portable Recorder has just been released and is perfect for recording high-end audio while shooting video. The product description says that it caters to the needs of DSLR (“digital single-lens reflex,” or just “digital SLR”) cameras. But it will work great for any video recorder, of course.
So what makes the DR-60DmkII so awesome? Lots of things. But that’s not very helpful is it? OK, let’s start with the important thing. It allows you to record very high-quality audio so your videos can sound professional, which is something that is lacking in so many videos these days. Just about every day I see a video that looks great, but sounds awful. You can solve that problem with this recorder.
The DR-60DmkII captures audio up to 24-bit/96 kHz WAV/BWF (broadcast wave format) files. It also has 4 audio input jacks – 2 combination XLR/TRS for standard microphones, and 2 1/8″ (3.5 mm) input plugs. You can record 4 audio sources simultaneously (which is better than typical home recording audio interfaces, I might add). It also has built-in phantom power (for your highest quality microphones), A-D converters and mic preamps.
A few other things worth knowing about:
- Attaches to a tripod and has a tripod screw on top of it so you can attach your camera on top of the recorder.
- Slate tone generator for easy track marking when shooting, and easy recognition
- Multiple stereo outputs allow you to monitor the audio in headphones as well as send reference audio to your camera (assuming it has a microphone jack)
- Built-in Mixer allowing you to control over panning and levels for each of the 4 tracks.
- Records onto SD/SDHC up to 32GB
I had not looked at the price of this recorder while writing about it. In the back of my mind, I was expecting it would be somewhere between $500 and $1,000. I’ve seldom been so happy to be wrong:). This awesome piece of kit costs only $199.99!
There are a lot more features on this incredible new device, which you can read about in the more detailed description. CLICK HERE to go check those other details out or to order one of you own.